The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition
sponsored by Sachar Amos Guitars and the Basin Music Festival Committee. Banner design by Renee Riotto.
The songwriting competition is back for 2017! It’s open to all, amateur or professional, in any musical style that can be performed acoustically. Winning songs will be performed on the open stage in The Basin Triangle on Sunday 26 March. If you have the songwriting talent, but not the voice to do it justice, it is not necessary to perform the song yourself to win. There is an entry form and a fee for each song you submit.
The judging panel shall consist of Khristian Mizzi and selected members of the Alex Legg Memorial Foundation.
The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
For Best Song (Open) – a handcrafted Sachar Amos electric guitar for the winner of the songwriting contest at The Basin Music Festival.
For Best Youth Song (Under 18 yrs at 18 March 2017) - Boronia & The Basin Community News (BBCN) Youth Songwriter Award including $200 cash.
Prizes will be awarded at the sole discretion of the judges in two categories, Open and Youth (under 18 years old)
Entry fee - $10.00 per song entered for the Open Category
Entry fee - $ 5.00 per song entered for the Youth Category
Closing date - 18 March 2017
"The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition, sponsored by Sachar Amos Guitars" will be referred to as the "Competition"
- Songwriters under 18 years of age at the time of the festival may enter songs into either the Youth or Open categories. All other songwriters will have their songs entered into the Open category.
- Songs must be suitable for performing acoustically (electronic instruments that emulate acoustic instruments, such as keyboards, are acceptable). This does not mean the song must be performed acoustically; the emphasis of the competition is the songwriting, not the musical arrangement.
- Songwriters may submit more than one entry—a separate entry form and fee are required for each song—but only one category can be won by any entrant.
- Members of The Basin Music Festival Association committee (TBMF committee) are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- Songs are to be presented for the Competition on CD or USB stick, or upload your mp3 with the competition entry form (link at the bottom of this page).
- Submitted media (containing music and text of lyrics) will become the property of The Basin Music Festival Association. Rights to the content remain with the author(s) according to "The Fine Print" below.
- The entrant(s) must be the original author(s) of the submitted song.
- Recordings and lyrics will be numbered before being submitted to judges so that, where possible, judges should be unaware of their authorship.
- An entrant may only have one song selected by the judges into the final competition at the festival. However if a song is a collaborative composition, the collaborating group shall be regarded as a separate, single entrant. Therefore a songwriter may have an individual composition and a collaboration each selected into the final competition.
- Entrants with songs selected in the final competition will be invited to arrange for performance of their song at the festival. The performer(s) need not be the songwriter.
The Fine Print
The contestant(s) and performer(s) agree to allow the Competition organisers, and/or The Basin Music Festival Association, the right to use the entry recording, or a recording of the song during its performance at the festival, to promote The Basin Music Festival, without the need for payment of any kind. Apart from the use listed above, all rights for the song remain with the song’s author(s).
By entering the Competition, you agree to the conditions herein and make this statement:
The song I have submitted is my (“our” in the case of a collaboration) own original composition, and the song meets all the criteria listed above to be eligible for entry in The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition.
Submit your entry using the online Songwriting Competition Entry Form